Family portrait sessions can be lots of fun, but they can also come with a lot of stress. Whether you’re wrangling your children for their yearly photos or capturing family memories on vacation, there are a lot of details that go into making sure everyone looks and feels their best during the shoot. From picking out outfits to finding the perfect photographer, it’s important to make sure you take care of everything beforehand so that when picture day arrives, all you need to do is enjoy! Here are five tips for having a stress-free family portrait session:
- Select a Professional Photographer: Choosing a photographer is one of the most important steps in having an enjoyable family portrait session. Look for someone who has experience taking photos of families, and ask to see their portfolio or check out reviews online. If you have young children, the photographer needs to be patient and know how to deal with kids to get them to follow directions while making the session fun for them. Make sure you’re comfortable with their style and approach so that you can be sure your photos will turn out exactly how you want them to.
- Plan Ahead: Once you’ve chosen a photographer, it’s time to start planning for the big day! Talk with your family about what kind of photos they would like, where they would like the shoot to take place, and what clothes everyone should wear. Get them all excited especially the little ones! Planning ahead will help make sure that everything runs smoothly during the session.
- Get Everyone Ready: On the day of the shoot, make sure everyone knows what time to arrive and is dressed and looking their best. Be careful not to stress them out though as it shows on their faces and they won’t even be able to enjoy their time. If you decide to have your session outdoors, be sure to bring items that will make the location more comfortable for you and your family.
- Relax and Have Fun: Once the session starts, it’s important to try your best to relax and enjoy yourself! Don’t worry if things don’t go as planned – these memories are supposed to be fun! Take a few deep breaths and just let go – if you have chosen the right photographer, chances are, your family will have an awesome time no matter what happens. Make sure you have great memories of the day when you look back at your family portraits!
- Have Patience: Taking photos with kids can take some time, so make sure to be patient and understanding. When things start to get unruly, take a break for everyone involved so that everyone can relax and regroup before continuing the session. By taking time out each person can be better prepared for what’s ahead and also avoid any potential meltdowns from happening in the future. Again, an experienced photographer would know and patiently help you through this.
If this all sounds like too much work to take on by yourself, just remember that starting by finding professional photographers can help make the process way easier for you. From the very first suggestions to finding the perfect location to helping everyone feel comfortable in front of the camera, they have years of experience that can create treasured memories for you and your family. So don’t wait any longer; contact us today at Focus Fine Photography and get ready for a picture-perfect portrait session experience!